baja shrimp mac and cheese
prep time: 20 min.
cook time: 40 min.
6 srvs, 8 oz. ea
4 tablespoons light butter spread, melted
2 cups lowfat milk
ground black pepper, to taste
8 oz. elbow macaroni
2 1/2 cups shredded pepper jack, divided
8 oz. shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed; coarsely chopped
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 chipotle pepper, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
3/4 cup crushed restaurant-style white corn tortilla chips (about 15)
additional chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- preheat oven to 350°f.
- lightly coat a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- in a large bowl whisk eggs until frothy.
- in a medium saucepan heat butter and half-and-half over medium heat 6–8 minutes; bring to a simmer.
- reduce heat to medium-low; whisk 2 tablespoons of the milk into eggs.
- gradually stir egg mixture into milk in pan.
- increase heat to medium; cook and stir constantly 8–10 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- season with pepper to taste.
- meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and return pasta to pot.
- pour milk mixture over pasta; add 2 cups of the cheese, plus shrimp, onions, cilantro, chipotle and garlic.
- mix well; spoon pasta mixture into baking dish.
- in a small bowl combine chips and remaining 1/2 cup cheese; sprinkle evenly on pasta.
- bake 25–30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- remove from oven; sprinkle with additional cilantro (if desired), and serve.
Nutrition (Per Serving)