1 (4 lb.) whole chicken, giblets and neck removed
1/2 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons salt-free southwest chipotle seasoning
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 (16 oz.) can lager beer
- season chicken cavity with salt and pepper to taste.
- pat chicken dry with paper towels; brush with oil.
- in a small bowl, combine seasoning and sugar.
- rub seasoning mixture on chicken.
- coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray.
- preheat grill to medium indirect heat (350°f–400°f).
- pour out 1/3 cup of the beer and reserve for another use.
- place can on a level surface and slide chicken onto can, legs facing down.
- carefully stand chicken (on can) on grill over indirect heat; if necessary, prop chicken up with crumpled sheets of foil.
- grill, covered, for 60–80 minutes or until instant-read thermometer registers 165°f when inserted into thickest part of chicken thigh.
- carefully transfer chicken (with can) to a platter.
- let stand on beer can 10–15 minutes.
- carefully lift chicken off can; discard can.
- carve chicken into slices and serve.
suggestion: if preparing for a gluten-free diet, carefully read product labels when selecting ingredients.
note: high-domed grills work best for this recipe. if grill lid is shallow, carefully lean and rest back of chicken on crumpled sheets of foil while grilling.