1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves
1 tablespoon chili powder or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1 can (16 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed well
3 cups cooked turkey, cut in chunks
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or more to taste
- in a large saucepan or dutch oven cook onion, garlic and jalapeno in the oil over medium-high heat until the onions are tender.
- add tomatoes, cumin, oregano, chili powder, peppers, salt, beans and turkey.
- reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- add 1/4 cup cilantro and continue to cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
- serve with cheese, remaining cilantro and a lime wedge for squeezing.
suggestion: omit salt to lower sodium. leftover dark meat is quite suited for this recipe. serve with warm flour tortillas and a tossed salad.